"Movies like this make me remember I love human beings." This is about reviewing movies.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

It has been a month since my last post. I've been pretty busy with school and stuff, so I haven't written any reviews. For a whole month worth of movies, I haven't seen so much new stuff...
That's because I've been rewatching a lot of stuff, buying some DVDs, rewatching movies already on the list, etcetara. So here's a little retrospect of the past month...

I've been trying to watch some of the Academy Award-nominated movies lately...
Slumdog Millionaire that I saw quite a long time ago already, a pretty good movie, maybe a bit overly dramatic near the end but for what it's worth, the first half was pure gold. An amazing photography and brilliant camera work, I highly recommend it if you love India and its culture, and if you love beautiful films in general.

The Wrestler was amazing. The more I think about it, the more I'm in love with that movie. Minimalistic in its approach, almost like a documentary, it's such a gripping and touching story. Almost like a metaphor of Mickey Rourke's life, I'd say he offers in The Wrestler one of the most touching performances I've seen. So honest and brutal, and almost predictable (but in a really good way, oddly), it's a movie that grows with you after you leave the theater. Another Aronofsky masterpiece.

I plan on seeing Milk someday...although knowing myself, I'll probably end watching some of the movies I recently bought on dvds.

Added Reservoir Dogs to my collection. That movie amazes me every single time I see it. It is such an absolute classic, so funny and entertaining, it's Tarantino at his finest. The same day, I actually rewatched Kill Bill Vol.1 too, and goddamn, QT sure knows how to make great films.
By the way : the teaser trailer for Inglourious Basterds is out, and I'll link it here because it's fucking awesome, check it out.

I've finally got to see some great movies like Being John Malkovich which was really strange...maybe a bit disappointing since I was expecting something fucking mindblowing like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (that I recently bough on dvd along with Hard Candy (my personal Ellen Page favorite) and Cloverfield, all of which I haven't got the chance to rewatch yet.) Being John Malkoviche was pretty good nonetheless. John Cusack gives a solid performance in it, along with John Malkovich of course. I got to see Forrest Gump for the first time ever and I wasn't dissapointed : it is actually what I was expecting from a 6-time Academy Award winner type of film. For a strange reason, I always expected that movie to be about a handicap marathon or something. I'm glad it wasn't, though. Also ; The Godfather was all I expected it to be and more. An important milestone in cinematic history.

I think that pretty much covers the month. I've rewatched a personal favorite of mine, Donnie Darko and got to see Juno again, which was a bit of strange experience...for some reason. I thought it was not as good as I remembered it to be...but I couldn't tell why.

I've just been finishing Alias Season 3 on DVD and it's been pretty good. A fairly different season than the firt two, not so many "classic" episodes either but it's some pretty good and entertaining spy-fi, as far as I'm concerned.

I have a bunch of movies I want to see: 12 Monkeys, Good Will Hunting, Blade Runner, Burn After Reading, the lastest Henry Selick film Coraline and a bunch of other stuff. A really gory and violent horror movie would be good too....

Someday. The truth is I don't see where I'll have the time. I'd say March break, but I suspect I'm gonna be pretty busy with school projects, again..! (at least one of them is actually film related, hurray!)

That's enough for tonight and this ridiculously long post that nobody will read.
See ya!

No comments: