"Movies like this make me remember I love human beings." This is about reviewing movies.

Thursday, January 1, 2009

How to celebrate New Year's eve?

By watching Michael Bay's epic sci-fi over-the-top extravaganza that is Armageddon.
I mean, this movie is what it is right? It's a Michael Bay, so it's what you can expect.
In this movie, Michael Bay blows up a lot of shit up. And I mean A LOT. China, New York, an oil-rigging platform, asteroids, bits and pieces of the moon, Paris, a Russian space station, and so on. He manages to infuse his movie with as much not-so-subtle political messages as you would expect and man, if you're looking for EXPLOSIONS like you wouldn't believe, this is what you need. It's a Michael Bay film after all. This movie is plain, epic, badass and brainless entertainment. You won't get better than this. And Bruce Willis is God, too.


If you expect a grand film, this is not for you. If you want to be ridiculously entertained, look no further, Michael Bay is the man. I have not a big bunch of respect for the guy, actually, but I can tell that with Armageddon, he manages to entertain (read : this movie is hilarious, cheesy and epic) the hell out of you. I can't believe the screenplay was partially written by J.J. Abrams. Hahaha.

Actually, this movie is worth watching. There's an epic sequence, somewhere in the middle, just before they get on the space shuttle, and you have the President giving a huge speech to the population of the Earth. Priceless, believe me.
Also, this is waay better than Transformers, as far a explosions get.

But, is this worth a place in the Criterion Collection, alongside Wes Anderson's and Kurosowa's films. I don't think so. I most definitely don't think this is "cinema at its finest" . Its a classic in its own genre, yes. But not an "important classic" as Criterion claims to distribute.
But it is the kind of movie I'll consider buying if it is less than 10$

Brains : 0
Explosions : 10
Entertainment 10+
Bruce Willis : 10++
Its sums up the whole thing.
Oh, and Happy New Year, too.

No comments: