"Movies like this make me remember I love human beings." This is about reviewing movies.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lost In Translation

Now, don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do with Scarlett's cute hips, it just happened that it's the title screen of the movie, and I'm going to try to start each review with a picture of the title screen, thanks to Steven Hill's Movie Title Screens Page.

So yeah :
Lost in Translation.
USA
2003
Directed by Sofia Coppola,
starring Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson.

About two years ago, I had a really hard time with Marie-Antoinette. Maybe because it was a school thing and I spent the whole screening shoving marshmallows in my mouth, or because I don't particularly like Kirsten Dunst...but whatever. So when my stepmother recommended me this movie (she's japonese, so) and when I saw the name of Sofia Coppola next to Directed by, my teeth made a bad noise. Now thinking about it, I got to admit that she is talented, especially with color and composition. And with the music. What I noticed the most in Lost in Translation was how good and appropriate and well edited was the music. I just love those movies where the music is as equally a part of the movie than the images and story (see ; Wes Anderson)

So the story itself : the film follows 2 strangers, a once-big movie star Bob Harris (Bill Murray which is amazing, also in The Life Aquatic) and Charlotte something (Scarlett Johansson, which I absolutely love too, she's amazingly talented and beautiful) in Tokyo...god, Tokyo.

That's the premise. It's funny and dramatic, and it's above all beautiful. The story is about people, about loneliness and how some relations can evolve into something more - but at the same time, painfuly short. I absolutely love Tokyo too, had the chance to go there twice, and this movie brought back great memories. Because, let me tell you, Tokyo is widescreen. Not only in this movie, in real life too. You are litteraly eaten by all the light and people and life. And you can easily feel lonely. The scenes where Charlotte is wandering in arcades and shrines and pachinkos are just great because they reflect all that, the're well shot and beautiful to watch. The characters were great, I mean, Bill Murray is such a great actor, so fun to watch, you want to hug him and call him grandpa, or whatever.


Both characters discover Tokyo and japanese traditions and strange customs - I can tell - through their own ways and then they meet, and their trip takes a different direction, for both of them. Love and friendship and loneliness, I've said it but this is really what it is about.

My favorite scene remains the one in the karaoke where the're all drunk and singing and stuff, it all felt strangely familiar - really? - and so much fun.

I would definitely recommend this movie. To everybody out there that loves Japan, or Johansson, or Murray, that's a movie for you. For me, fitting in those three categories, this was a treat, for the eyes and ears. A free trip (well, minus the cost of actually renting the movie) to Japan, delightful.

It's really a film you have to watch on a big tv, widescreen with good speaker. Its also a film I would condider buying, because I feel like I'd want to watch it again very soon.

Now I definitely have to rent The Virgin Suicides and try to forget Marie-Antoinette.

I don't rate movies. Because it's a really hard thing to do. Because movies grow on you, and you could like it one day, and adore it the next day. The only exception is when a movie sucks, then, it just sucks.

I'll also try to include posters in my reviews. I just love the concept of a poster. Its just great.


What's next? Dario Argento's Tenebre which I fear is gonna suck...but well. It's a classic of horror, and a horror fan like I am has to watch the classics.

See ya.

No comments: